This week we wrapped up open auditions for A Christmas Story, the Musical, which hits Near West Theatre’s stage (a Cleveland premiere!) on Nov. 15. Even if you missed them, it’s not too late: read on! Artistic Director Bob Navis Jr., who directs the show, offers 10 reasons to give him a call and make arrangements to audition. (Adults, we’re talking to you. Men especially!) — Hans Holznagel
Top 10 reasons to audition for A Christmas Story, the Musical, at Near West Theatre
… From me, Bob Navis Jr., to you…
- This might very well be our last intergenerational fall show in the St. Pat’s Club Building, our theatrical home since 1978.
- This smash-hit musical version of the classic hit movie got rave reviews in New York last season. It’s coming back to Broadway this Christmas!
- Near West Theatre was courted to be the first theater in the Cleveland area to produce A Christmas Story, The Musical.
- We’re partnering with Tower City, the Cleveland Play House, A Christmas Story house in Tremont, and other organizations celebrating the 30th anniversary of the classic film that inspired this musical. The show will be advertised heavily throughout the region.
- The musical score is fantastic! Find clips of A Christmas Story, the Musical on YouTube. Hear the music. You’ll be hooked.
- All roles are open! Jean Shepherd, the Narrator (aka Ralphie grown-up), on stage throughout, telling the story, living out Ralphie’s fantasies with him, and becoming various characters in the story. A huge role that requires a layered, dramatic and comedic approach … Ralphie, the kid who wants a BB gun for Christmas … Mother, a much-expanded role in the musical, with two of the score’s best songs … Randy, Ralphie’s little brother…. The Old Man, a great part for a physical actor with a voice; sings some wonderful songs… Schwartz, Flick, Esther Jane, Mary Beth, some of Ralphie’s friends… Scut Farkus and Grover Dill, the school bully and his flunkie… Miss Shields, the teacher who leads the show-stopping, second-act production number, “You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out!”
- And more roles! Fantasy Villain, Bank Robbers, Prisoner, Can-Can Girlfriend, Deliver Men, Mrs. Schwartz, Police Officers, Firefighters, Doctor, Nurse, Flick’s Mother, Mobster, Santa Claus, Chief Elves, Nancy, Goggles Kid, Waiter, Waitress …
- And yet more roles! The company plays multiple roles in Ralphie’s real-world and fantasy sequences: Neighbors, Shoppers, Parents, Students, Townspeople, Elves and more
- It’s a big, fun, cast! We are looking to cast a company of 50: 20 children, plus 30 teens and adults.
- It’s the longest-running show Near West Theatre has ever produced. Four big weekends!
Don’t miss out. Call Bob Navis Jr. at 216-281-6879 and we will schedule you to come to further auditions as needed.
May all your bells jingle! — Bob
A Christmas Story, the Musical
Musical by Joseph Robinette, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul,
based upon A Christmas Story © 1983 Turner Entertainment Co., distributed by Warner Bros., written by Jean Shepherd, Leigh Brown and Bob Clark, and on the book In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepherd.
A Christmas Story, the Musical, is produced by special arrangement with THE DRAMATIC PUBLISHING COMPANY, INC., of Woodstock, Illinois. Produced with permission of Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures, Inc.